Yes it's the end of hibernation and no it wasn't just the wickedly cold winter that has kept me quiet. The last 6 months have been a busy creative time - keeping my head down inside my songwriting notepads and my head down staring at my loop pedals working on my performance chops. Here’s what I've been up to:
ADVENTURES ALONG MY CRAZY PATH IN THE WORLD OF MUSIC
• A productive songwriting trip to Nashville with 5 cool new baby songs.
• Five Robbie Burns gigs, lots of Haggis and elevated cholesterol!
• A big birthday milestone – I’m the same age as the Canadian Flag.
• Inspiration from writing songs with super talented kids in the schools.
• Excited to be working in the studio alongside producer Justin Abedin on some new material.
• Happy to have songs I've co-written coming out on records and going to country radio by talented Country artists Mandy Ringdal, Alex Runions & Twin Kennedy.
• Honoured to be asked to perform the soldier song I co-wrote in Montreal called "Can't Make It Back Home" with the Band of The Royal Regiment of Canada as part of their concert at Glenn Gould Studio this fall.
CBC SEARCHLIGHT - FREEDOM BY THE BARREL
Some of you may be aware of the CBC Searchlight Song Contest. I must admit I'm not a fan of the popularity contest format. But I had a weak moment and entered the song "Freedom By The Barrel" from my last record because I really want to get this song heard by a wider audience. It's a song with a great lyric written by my friend Alec Steinwall and to me it reflects the sad state of the ever-expanding profiteering from global wars. I believe it can speak some truth to power. Please take a listen and if you feel the same way, perhaps you could vote for the cause. Here's the link.
I love to hear from you, so let me know how your hibernation has gone. And now that it’s time to re-emerge, I hope to see you somewhere down the road.
Meet you in the music,